Tuesday, March 4, 2014

{recetas} Venison Soup

Aah, soup.

Nothing beats soup on a cold winter day. Especially hot soup. And I mean hot. My husband usually lets an ice cube melt in his bowl of soup because I like it so hot. A meal that warms and comforts. That is what winter is about.

And since it seems like winter will be here forever, I may as well embrace it. Right?

Venison Soup

What you need:
1 pound ground venison
3 bell peppers (I got the stoplight), diced
1 package mushrooms, chopped
4 carrots, peeled & chopped
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
32 ounces beef broth
1/2 can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

What you do:

First, wash and chop the veggies. Well, dice the onion and the peppers. I like to keep the onion pieces a little large so that I can easily avoid them while eating. I don't know to eat onion, but I enjoy the flavor that it adds to a recipe.

Put the onion and venison into a frying pan with a small amount of olive oil. Brown the meat and cook the onions until they are translucent. There isn't much fat with venison, so don't worry about draining. Instead, transfer the onions and beef to a large stock pot or dutch oven. I wish I had a dutch oven (don't worry, I put it on my birthday list).

Add everything else to the pot and let it simmer. I like to let my soups simmer for about 30 minutes. This is to make sure all of the vegetables are done, but also to allow the flavors to meld.

And when I'm feeling extra fancy, I add a few slices of avocado on top.


2 comments:

  1. You don't burn your mouth? Wow! I kinda like my soup luke warm. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I usually do burn my mouth! Haha. Then, I wait a few (okay, half) minutes until it's a tiny bit cooler... I know, weird.

    ReplyDelete