Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Pressure: NaBloPoMo January 2014

NaBloPoMo January 2014

I may be crazy, but I've signed up for a challenge. I'm challenging myself to blog every day for one month. And it just so happens to be a month with 31 days. Here come 31 posts from me! Woo hoo!

This month's theme is pressure. Today's prompt is:

Do you work well under pressure?

In all honesty, I would have to say yes. I work extremely well under pressure.

But, I also have to say no (because I'm being honest). Sometimes the pressure is too much, and I fold.

While making my way through college, and even now in my professional career, an upcoming deadline motivates me to work. But not in the way of managing my time wisely. I've always created a better product if I begin a day or two before the deadline. College papers were often started the night before their due date. I could crank out projects in a few days, tops. And I graduated with a very good GPA, so I wasn't turning in crap-tastic papers and projects. I was making some pretty good grades!

But now, as an adult in the real world (because college is NOT the real world!), I sometimes struggle with pressure. There is so much pressure on moms, and this is the pressure that gets to me the most. The pressure to be good enough, to be the best mom. I don't feel this way all the time, but around some moms I know, I feel a constant sense of competition. Competition, to me, equals pressure...not while playing soccer...but the mom competition.

When faced with the pressure from mom competition, I crumble. I second guess. I don't work well, and it doesn't feel good.

Luckily, I have a fabulous group of girlfriends, plus my sister, and my mom to build me up and remind me that that competition, that type of pressure, is bogus and not worth my time!

No comments:

Post a Comment