Thursday, January 2, 2014

Nine Months

The little man is nine months old.

I can barely believe that nine months ago, the little boy came into the world. I kind of remember it like it was yesterday. But I kind of don't, at the same time.

Perfect time for the birth story, right. I know many people won't want to read this. And for that, I apologize. I want to use this space as a place to share recipes, crafts, and the like with y'all. But, I also want to use this space as a place to remember important this about my family. I'd say a birth story is one of those important things.

The hubs and I had just completed a day of spring break--his last day, my first. I had been coming up with a list of things to get done over the course of the week. Nesting type things: clean the house, set up the crib, paint the bookshelf for the boy's room, make a few meals for the freezer. We had just come off  of a weekend of Easter gatherings, and I wasn't feeling the greatest. Even though I was tired, there were a few things I wanted to complete around the house. I sent the hubs to bed, and started prepping a meal for the freezer. I still had 6 weeks to go until my due date, so I wasn't too concerned with getting everything done. I had written a hefty to-do list for spring break, though.

Around 10:15, I decided to head to bed. I began my usual bed time routine of washing my face and brushing my teeth. As soon as I laid my head on my pillow, I felt wet. I shot straight out of bed and pranced to the bathroom, not want to leak on our carpeting. I sat on the toilet and continued to "pee."

Not wanting to scare my husband, I called into the bedroom, "Babe, I think I wet the bed" (knowing full well that my water had broken).

He called back, "No, I think your water broke," as I was thinking: well, duh.

Naturally (for me, anyway) I began to cry. I was shocked, surprised, and scared. The hubs got out of bed and called his sister (a family practice doctor) to tell her what happened. I called my mom. And my sister.

Once off the phone, I began to throw together a hospital bag (which was on my to-do list for the week). My hospital bag consisted of: a clean pair of underwear for my husband, sweatpants for us both, a clean t-shirt for us both, tooth brushes, our camera, a book, our cell phones, and our iPad. I also grabbed a bath towel.

The hubs was already warming the car.

I waddled out of the house and put the bag in the car. I put the bath towel on the front seat and got in. I called my mom again. Still no answer. No answer from my dad, either.

We were in our hospital room, and hooked up to monitors, by 11:15. Tests were run, and it was confirmed that my water broke.

I finally got in touch with my mom.

The contractions weren't so bad to start. But, of course, they got worse as time went on. I wanted to labor a little bit in the tub. A nice warm bath sounded delightful.

That didn't happen. I threw up along the way, used the bathroom, and got back into bed. The nurse came in and mentioned that it was time to decide on epidural or not. I went for it, and got the epidural. I was then stuck in bed for the remainder of the time.

I pushed for 40 minutes.

Kid was born at 5:23 in the morning, weighing in at 5 pounds and 13 ounces. He was 19.25 inches long.

And his 9 month stats? I couldn't get his well baby exam until the 10th, so I will be sure to update then (with photos!). Complete with pictures, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment