Saturday, June 30, 2012

{recetas} Mac & Cheese

I love mac 'n' cheese. Once upon a time, though, I didn't. I didn't think it was as awesome as everyone made it out to be. That was before. This is now.

I love mac 'n' cheese. The stuff from the box is pretty good. The homemade stuff? Even better.

I nanny for a family and the two girls love macaroni and cheese more than I do. The first summer I was a nanny for them, they wanted the boxed pasta every day. I probably made it twice a week. On the first day of my second summer, I went to the pantry to fetch a box of macaroni and cheese. I saw nothing. Not one box of cheesy goodness. I saw 3 or 4 boxes of noodles.

The girls informed me that they used the "box of cheese all sliced up" and the colorful noodles to make mac and cheese. I quickly figured out how to make super simple mac 'n' cheese, but wasn't extremely satisfied. I searched the ol' web and found this post from the Picky Palate. Home made mac and cheese in 5 minutes!? It took me longer, though, because I didn't have any leftover pasta in the fridge.

Here are the changes I made the second time I made this recipe:

Colby/jack cheese instead of cheddar (I'm not really a fan of  cheddar cheese...).
Skim milk instead of whole.
Half the salt, half the pepper.
Added a half cup for peas, for a little veggie goodness.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment