Tuesday, June 12, 2012

{recetas} Taco Casserole

I found this recipe on All Recipes and modified it just a little bit. I made it awhile ago exactly how the recipe states, but I like to modify recipes a bit. I do it, mostly, to see if I can. Someday, someday, someday, I would like to be able to cook without a recipe. Practice makes perfect, right?

Here are the ingredients I used the second time I made this recipe:

  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 can sliced olives
  • 1 package frozen corn
  • 1/2 can tomato soup
  • 1 can southwestern style diced tomatoes (they're Target's brand and have diced tomatoes, chiles, garlic and jalapenos...I think)
  • 1/2 box of elbow noodles
  • enough shredded cheese (colby/jack) to cover the top (didn't measure!)
  • enough tortilla chips to crush over the top
  • a few sprinkles of garlic salt (to taste)
  • a couple shakes of Tajin (to taste) -- found at a Mexican market
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
The steps:

  1. Cook the noodles to "al dente" status. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. While the noodles cook, brown the ground beef and add the taco seasoning according to the package directions.
  3. Add the olives, tomato soup, diced tomatoes and frozen corn to the skillet with the beef. Sprinkle on some garlic salt and the tajin (if you want to/have it).
  4. Drain the noodles and pour those in the skillet as well. Mix it all together, then pour it into a 9x13" casserole dish. Cover the top with shredded cheese and bake until the cheese melts (or for 30 to 35 minutes if your dish sat in the fridge because you had to go to class and you made it for your husband to heat up later. Just sayin').
  5. Serve it in a shallow bowl (or on a plate, whatever works!) and crush a few tortilla chips over the top. My husband likes to add a spoonful of sour cream and bit of salsa to the top of his. Me? I like it just as it is.
I think it is really tasty and think you should try it!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I can only cook recipes without looking at a recipe card those that I have made for years. But I am like you, I need to rely on the card. My gramma used to just throw things together as well as my mom so I aspire to someday do that too. :)

    ReplyDelete