Saturday, February 15, 2014

My Kind of Cleaning Schedule

Have you seen those cleaning schedules that are floating around on different blogs and Pinterest? The ones that call for 15 minutes of cleaning a day, and your house will always remain spotless?

They have certain tasks that are done each day. Mop the kitchen on Monday; dust the living room, clean a bathroom, and tidy your bedroom on Tuesday. The list goes on.

And. They want you to do a load of laundry every day.

That, my friends, does not work for me.

If you can't follow those daily cleaning schedules, you've come to the right place. I work better on a different kind of schedule. One where I do all of the cleaning tasks in one day. When the hubs is around, so that he can help, too. He does all of the vacuuming. I hate vacuuming. Mostly because of the stairs. Vacuuming stairs is a horrible chore.

I digress. This isn't about horrible chores. I've already written about those (vacuuming and laundry). This is about how I get my house clean (and keep it that way).


Okay. I've kind of misled you thus far. You can't keep a house clean and picked up in one day a week. It just isn't possible, as messes are created every day. But, all of the "heavy cleaning" happens on one day.

Monday through Friday

  • Set a timer for 10 minutes to tidy things up and put stuff away.
  • Do your typical "chores" - wipe the counter and sink down after dinner, take the trash out when it's full (you know, those common sense things).
Saturday or Sunday
  • Turn up the music and take care of everything else:
    • Dust the whole house
    • Vacuum (or, have your husband do it!)
    • Clean all counters (kitchen, bathroom)
    • Tackle the laundry. I hate laundry, and would despise having to do a load every day. It works much better for me to do it all in one day.
    • Clean the bathrooms.
    • Swiffer the non-carpeted floors after vacuuming them.
And, you're done.

In all seriousness, this takes about an hour to an hour and a half. I have a small house. That may be the reason that this schedule works for me. The daily schedules don't work for me because I don't work in the home. I return home with Kid around 4:30 or 5. By the time we get dinner on the table and play a little bit, I'm tired and want to relax. Cleaning is the last thing on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment