Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Tips and Tricks for Buying and Selling Online

Amazing deals can be found online. A lot of people post things for sale on Facebook and their blogs, but the go-to place is Craigslist.

The hubs and I have found some amazing deals on Craigslist. We’ve purchased a high chair, a changing table, the Chariot, and plenty of other items. We’ve also sold a handful of things, including our living room furniture that I hated. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, right?
(although, the furniture was not trashy; in fact, it was in wonderful condition!).

Buying and selling online can be easy-peasy, sort of scary, and/or just plain difficult. I have learned a few things in my day on how to best use Craigslist (in my day – I sound so old).


Tips for Selling on Craigslist

1.       Include a lot of description in your post. Take the time to measure the large item you’re selling (such as furniture!). This will eliminate a step because, more often than not, a potential buyer would like to know the dimensions.

2.       Like an enjoyable blog post, a good Craigslist ad includes a picture (or 4). A buyer will ask for one, anyway. I, for one, don’t look at posts that don’t contain images. I want to see the condition of the item I plan to buy. When I first started using Craigslist, I would look at any and all postings. One of my first messages to the seller asked for pictures. Including them from the start is the best plan.

Tips for Buying on Craigslist

1.       Look for the posts with pictures. Honestly, it is so easy for the seller to add photos to their post. Pictures show a buy exactly what is being sold. And, to give you a cliché, a picture is worth a thousand words.

2.       Attempt to meet the seller in a public place. I am a paranoid person. If I’m getting into my car late at night, I get in and lock the doors behind me. Paranoia at its finest. Meeting in a public place really is the safest route. That way, nobody has to go into anyone else’s home. Safety first.

3.       Along those same lines, let some else know when and where the transaction is taking place. I recently purchased a chair for Kid that clips on to a table. I called my mom when I arrived at the meeting place, and called her right back after I made the purchase and was safely in my car. Even better, though? Bring someone along. Safety first, my friends, safety first.

4.       Negotiate. Unless the posting says that the price is firm, it is usually possible to purchase an item for less than the asking price. In fact, I have never paid the asking price for something I’ve purchased on Craigslist. Sellers usually want to get rid of an item as soon as possible, anyway. So offer a price that it is a little less than what is listed. It never hurts to ask.
(can you spot how many clichés I just used?)


Jokes aside, though. Safety really is the most important then when buying or selling on Craigslist. If something about the transaction feels a little fishy, forget about it. A used item for sale on the internet isn’t that important, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment