Sunday, July 7, 2013

Secret

I have a secret dream.

And I've decided to make it not-so-secret. Because right now, only my husband and I know about this dream. 

Maybe it's more of a goal. 

Either way, I'm here to tell you about it.

My husband hunts. He hunts deer, pheasant, and has a grouse hunting trip planned.

Hunting is not something I could do. But, I do enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Especially the venison.

Last year, he brought home about 50 pounds of meat. We didn't use any of it until April, because I was nervous about eating venison while pregnant. And because I like my red meat on the rare side and that is a no-no during pregnancy. I didn't want to eat well-done venison.

Anyway. We've gone through more than half of our freezer full of venison since April. I assume it isn't something that most people enjoy, but I love it. Especially when we use our homemade maple syrup in the marinade!

Okay, now the time for my dream/goal.

I would like to avoid buying beef for one year.

No. I'm not becoming a vegetarian. I am hoping that my husband can bring home enough venison to replace our beef consumption for a year.

That's my goal. I hope, if the hunting in November goes well, it's something we can accomplish...

Have no fear, I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

  1. That would be a HUGE money saver.
    I don't even want to add up how much I spend on meat in a summer alone not to mention a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it unbelievable!? Hopefully it works out... We haven't bought beef since April, but we will have to see how the hunting goes this fall!

      Delete