Thursday, July 25, 2013

Family Reunion

The husband and I (and the baby) just recently got home from a family reunion.

It was with his dad's family. People I had never met before. Never even knew existed.

Isn't it interesting? I knew that the hubby's grandma had two sisters, but I didn't necessarily think about their kids and grandkids, and even great-grandkids.

We all met at a campground in the black hills of South Dakota. If you've never been, add it to your list of places to travel. Mount Rushmore was neat and the scenery was beautiful! Each morning, we had breakfast together then parted ways for daytime activities. Everyone met up once more at the campground for happy hour, dinner, and cards after dark. I was pleasantly surprised with the whole trip.

But isn't it interesting? I grew up seeing my mom's cousins and their kids on a rather regular basis. I graduated high school with a couple of them. We still see everyone at least twice a year.

But given the circumstances, this family had spread out thought the country. People left home for college, jobs, and spouses. It's just what happens, and what you willingly do for your significant other.

And when that happens? People travel from near and far for a family reunion. They pack up their families, take vacation time from work and begin their trek to South Dakota. Hopefully with this family, they won't wait another 18 years for the next reunion...

No comments:

Post a Comment