Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Judgement

There's an old saying that everyone knows. It's about a book and its cover.  You know the one. Judging and all that stuff. Susan Boyle is an example of why that statement is true. You really can't judge a book by its cover. When she walked onto the stage at Britain's Got Talent a few years back, nobody expected her to sing so beautifully. The majority of the audience members, both live and via the television, had judged Ms. Boyle by her looks and expected very little from her. But she sang her heart out and gave me goosebumps.

source
I recently had a similar experience, reminding me of why it isn't okay to judge a book by its cover. I have heard many folks judge, without getting to know, a certain person. I was able to sit down and chat with this person a few days ago, and my eyes were opened. They were opened wide. I won't get into the news that was shared with me; it isn't my story to tell.

I was reminded, though, that it is not fair that people (myself included) so quickly come to inaccurate conclusions. But they (and I) did. Honestly...sadly...I think it is human nature to judge and people need to be made aware of this. In talking with my new friend, I have again been reminded that you can never really, truly know someone's story by looking at them or by judging them from afar. It doesn't work, and it isn't fair to the person being judged.

People need to stop judging books (people) by their covers (appearances).

Watch this video, though. I cry every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment