Monday, October 8, 2012

{recetas} Applesauce

Oh my goodness, a post on a Monday!? That hasn't happened in the longest time! It feels so good to be back!

I most certainly love homemade applesauce over the store-bought variety. During my first year of teaching, I decided to have the class make applesauce during our unit on fall. that was the first time I had ever tasted the amazingness of homemade applesauce.

What you need:

  • Apples. Lots and lots of apples (3 to 4 pounds) of different varieties
  • 1 cup of water
  • A few shakes of cinnamon
What you do:
  • Peel, core and slice the apples. I was lucky enough to purchase the Apple Master from my local Mills' Fleet Farm. If you don't have this and plan on making lots of apple-y things, invest in one (it's only $15!). It cuts the prep time by an hour, at least.


  • Place all of the apple slices in a pot (or slow cooker-SUPER easy!). Pour in the cup of water. If you use a slow cooker, set it to high. Sprinkle with as little or as much cinnamon as you'd like (or completely leave it out). Cook the apples over medium-low heat for about 20 to 30 minutes. I don't really time it, I just stir the apples occasionally. When they get nice and soft, they're done.
  • Use a potato masher to mash the apples. OR (my preferred method) send the apples through a food mill or grinder. I use my handy-dandy Kitchenaid mixer and attachment. This will create a smoother applesauce, while the potato masher leaves it kind of chunky.



When all is said and done, you can enjoy some nice warm applesauce. I prefer cold applesauce, so I put as much as I can into 4 ounce or pint sized Mason jars. I would only store the applesauce in the fridge for a week. Otherwise, you can freeze the single-sized servings and place them in a lunch box. I take one out of the freezer each morning, and it is completely thawed by lunch time!


Isn't he the cutest puppy-boy you've ever seen? We're planning on bringing him on his first camping trip soon, so he is getting some practice time in with his "pack." Who knew I could love a puppy so much!?

Linked up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment