Friday, February 20, 2015

Today

At this time in my pregnancy two years ago, I was feeling pretty cruddy. It was the day after Easter, and my first day of Spring Break. It was the end of the husband's Spring Break. We were watching TV, and he fell asleep on the couch. I shooed him off to bed as I finished writing my spring break to-do list.

I was going to get so much done! Put the finishing touches on the paint in the baby's room. Finish the airplane mobile. Get the changing table and crib set up - put sheets on the mattress, add diapers to the bins. Make a few freezer meals to have on-hand. Pack the hospital bag. 

Then, I realized that I was exhausted. It was only Monday, and I had all week to get things done. To bed I went.

Of course, I first brushed my teeth and washed my face.

And while I stood in front of the mirror, mouth full of foamy toothpaste, my water broke.

At 33 weeks, 5 days pregnant.

Having never been pregnant before, I wasn't 100% positive that my water really did break. I could have just peed a little. That had been happening more than I'd like to admit, but it was usually when I laughed too much or sneezed. Not while brushing my teeth.

Six hours later, Kid was on my chest and Hubs was snapping pictures.

Today, I am 33 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Kid's overnight bag is packed. The hospital bag is ready to go. The nursery is not painted, I have no freezer meals. And we are doing everything we can to keep this little lady in and growing.

I've had two injections to help with baby girl's lungs. I have to sit on my butt all day. I wish I could go to work.

And I'm getting a little nervous. I don't want my water to break today, like it did last time. I don't want it to break in the next week. Or the next month. I'm not ready to go into labor.

Life doesn't happen when you're ready, though. And if she wants to show up, she will make her entry. Bed rest is helping me do what she needs. Rest. So she can continue to grow.

So here's to bed rest. And cracking open my second book. Has anybody else read Freakonomics?











1 comment:

  1. I saw Freakonomics on Netflix and have been meaning to read it! Such a great eye-opener. If you have access to HBO, Vice is a similar expose show...

    ReplyDelete