Sunday, November 30, 2014

This Moment & Nuggets

((this moment))

A Friday ritual. A single moment - no words - capturing a moment from the week. A simple, special, extraordinary moment. A moment I want to pause, savor, and remember.



Nuggets :: November 28

Nugget :: Work was a treat this week, being that I only went in for three days. The kids were rambunctious, but the end of the week was never more than a couple of days away. We had some hectic times, with all of the Thanksgiving projects to be had. On Wednesday, we made Stone Soup and shared all of the reasons to be thankful. I'm amazed at how brilliant five- and six-year-olds are.

Nugget :: Family time. We spent the holiday with my dad's side of the family. A small gathering, but an intimate one. Football played in the background, my niece ran a beauty salon and gave everyone haircuts. Kid enjoyed the attention from the big dogs and the big boys (my cousins). He was quick to show off his dancing moves and his love for football. He recently learned to yell "touch down!"

Nugget :: Kid has been difficult. I know it's his age, and it's developmentally appropriate. I've worked with early childhood for 9 years now. I keep trying to tell myself all of the things I told toddler parents when we held conferences. It's hard. It's hard when Kid is a gem with everyone. Everyone but his mother. He slaps my hand at the store because he's mad. He kicks at my boots when we have to go inside. He wants me to give in, break down, let him get what he wants. I can't back down. No, I won't back down. He's learning. Every time out I give him. Every time I say "no." He's learning. He's testing his boundaries. He's worse for me because I'm there. I'm his rock. His mama. But that doesn't mean that I didn't break down in tears last night after he was in bed. It doesn't mean it's easy. And it sure as hell isn't fun when he's testing those limits. But then, he finally figures out how to say the K sound at the end of "milk" and learns to climb down from his learning tower, and finally throws the ball for Finn instead of at him. And then it's all worth it. A hundred times over.




No comments:

Post a Comment